Pages

Thursday, May 3, 2018

Iberian Adventures

We flew home from Barcelona on May 3rd. Today is July 22nd. Such is life with a marriage, kid, career, and community...

This year's adventure took us to Iberia: we flew into Lisbon and out of Barcelona, stopping in the regions with excellent hiking:

1) Costa Vicentina, on the southwestern coast of Portugal (we stayed in the countryside outside Odemira);
2) Andalucía, in the south of Spain (stayed in Grazalema and Lanjarón);
3) The central Pyrenees (stayed in a small village called Aragnouet, outside Saint-Lary-Soulan in France, and Rialp in España).

My trip journal tells me we hit a trail 9 of the 18 days of the trip, which is pretty darn good, considering we moved around a lot with a 2.5 year old.

Good thing I have that trip journal... I've forgotten most of the trip already (doh!!). Guess I'll need Davo and Kick-Kick to help me write this.

What was your favorite place?
KK: the water and the ocean
on the beach outside Barcelona
D: the town of Grazalema (favorite town), Aragnouet (scenery)
panorama of Grazalema
church and sunbeams in the French Pyrenees
N: Lisbon (city), Grazalema (town), French Pyrenees (countryside), Boavista Dos Pinheiros (favorite AirBnB - we had an entire 3-bedroom house in the Portuguese countryside) 
Portuguese countryside

Which place did you like the least?
KK: I didn't want to be in the ocean [I think she's referring to the waves, or being in the water]
teeny tiny human on the cliff for scale
D: least favorite town was Rialp, least favorite hiking was the Sierra Nevada/ "white villages of Las Alpujarras" outside of Lanjarón
pueblos blancos de las Alpujarras
N: Rialp, I think because of the location of our AirBnB (backing up to a gas station) and the weather (rainy)

What was your favorite food on the trip?
KK: galletas! [COOKIES!]
D: olives, the meats
yum yum
N: the abundant and inexpensive produce - red peppers for days!

What was the most stressful moment of the trip?
KK: I left Polar Bear behind, I was sad and I missed Polar Bear.
it's ok, polar bear's counsin now lives with us
D: going to Andorra - dealing with the malls
N: Naomi's meltdown on the flight home. She had a terrible stomach ache, wailing in pain (of course the infant ibuprophen was in the checked luggage).
sleepy preschooler under our seats

Which was your favorite hike?
KK: animals and tigers and do like this [covers ears with hands] and I can see them being so loud. There's no dinosaurs here.
D: Puerto De Las Presillas outside of Grazalema
who wants rocks? we've got rocks
N: Lac d'Oô would have been my favorite, but it was so windy (and cold) that day. So I agree with Davo.
beautiful waterfall at the back of the lake

What would you do the same the next time we travel?
KK: I want to take a train to the airport.
D: AirBnB
N: If we're planning on moving around a lot - AirBnB. Not having to break camp every morning was fabulous, plus we had a place to hang out in the evening after Naomi went to bed. But I did miss camping.
our house in Portugal

What would you do differently?
KK: Paper. I'm gonna play with it all long day.
D: Go later in the season so we could do more hiking in the Pyrenees. And, get a babysitter so we could do the Camino del Rey.
N: Research things that are very specific to us in advance. For example, grocery stores are closed on Sundays in Spain, which messed with our plans both Sundays we were there.

No comments:

Post a Comment