- 1/2 kg runner beans (or green beans)
- 1 onion, very finely chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, roughly chopped
- 2 or 3 tomatoes, peeled and very finely chopped
- 1/2 c. olive oil (you read that right)
- 1/2 to 1 1/2 c. hot water
- Sugar and salt to taste
Saute the onions and garlic until onions are turning clear. Add everything else, bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer. Cook until beans are soft but not mushy, 30 minutes to 1 hour, depending on the type of bean.
Remove from heat. Serve at room temperature.
(Apparently, this can be made in a pressure cooker, as well. Cook the beans about 15 minutes.)