Pages

Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Pita Bread

I'm on food team tomorrow; I'm planning on making homemade hummus with homemade pita bread, and I've got some sprouts started as well.  This is my first time sprouting (don't really like sprouts; maybe they're better when they're very fresh) and my first time making pita bread.  I made the pita bread today, and they turned out so well.  It was so easy!


Homemade Pita Bread
Makes 16 breads

Ingredients:
  • 4 tsp. yeast
  • 2 tbs. sugar (or honey)
  • 2 1/2 c. cups lukewarm water
  • 6 cups whole wheat flour
  • 3 tsp. salt
  • 2 tbs. olive oil
Directions:

If using active dry yeast, "wake up" the yeast by mixing it with the water and sugar and waiting ~10 minutes, until frothy.  Otherwise, mix dry ingredients, and then add wet ingredients.  Mix with a wooden spoon, and then your hands.  The flour should all be incorporated and the dough should not be sticky.  Knead for at least 10 minutes.  Lightly coat the dough in olive oil, place in a large bowl, and cover with a kitchen cloth.  Allow the dough to rise until it's doubled in size (it took three hours for my dough to rise).

Preheat the oven to really freaking hot.  At least 400 degrees, 500 degrees if your oven goes that high.  Also heat up your baking surface (cookie sheet, baking stone).  Punch down the dough.  Separate into 16 same-sized balls.  Allow the dough to relax for 10-20 minutes.  Roll out the dough balls with a rolling pin to ~1/4 inch thickness on a floured surface.  Bake in batches until puffy, 3-8 minutes.

My first four pitas.  Only two puffed up...  later batches were more successful!
Hints for puffy pitas:
  • Make sure your oven is really freaking hot.
  • Don't open the oven door while they're baking.  The steam in the bread will help the breads puff up.
  • Don't roll out the breads too thinly.  If they're too thin, they won't puff up.

2 comments:

  1. Those pita's actually look like pita's from Clifton! When I submit a post, I always get a message that says it cannot be processed. But when I resend it a second time, I get asked to type the word shown and it gets posted. Never
    has worked on the first time. I don['t know
    if Dave is having the same issue. When can we skype again? Love Mummers

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry about that ramble, for some reason it just posted on the first try. Mummers

    ReplyDelete