Pages

Monday, December 28, 2009

The Year in Soundwaves

Do you remember the songs you listened to on the radio while driving to high school?  Do you remember the songs you listened to while hanging out in your college dormitory?  Do you remember the song playing during your first dance with your new wife?

Humanity has invented a time machine:  music.

It takes you back, reminds you of who and where you were, what you were doing, how you were feeling.  A song is like a little time capsule:  play the song; open the time capsule.

Some time after the end of college, I started making year-end playlists with the intent of summarizing the previous year with music, instead of words.  I put the finishing touches on the 2009 playlist last night.  This was my year, in soundwaves.

2009
  1. Everything is Borrowed - The Streets
  2. Life Less Ordinary - Carbon Leaf
  3. Smiling Underneath - Ani DiFranco
  4. Old Dan Tucker - Bruce Springsteen
  5. Mi Amor, Mi Amante - Grupo 5
  6. Te Regalo Amores - Rakim y Ken Y
  7. Wagon Wheel - Old Crow Medicine Show
  8. Lisztomania - Phoenix
  9. Daylight - Matt and Kim
  10. Skinny Love - Bon Iver
  11. Roll Away Your Stone - Mumford and Stones
  12. The World at Large - Modest Mouse
For you stalkers out there, click the link below to see 2008 and 2007.


This was 2008 and 2007.  I can't find 2006 (or 2005? did I do a playlist for 2005?)--think I lost it when I switched computers--so maybe this is more for me, my horrible memory, and my propensity for getting rid of stuff I should keep.

2008
  1. I Wish I Was the Moon - Neko Case
  2. ties that bind - stars of stage and screen
  3. Death to Los Campesinos - Los Campesinos!
  4. Librarian - My Morning Jacket
  5. Fix You Up - Tegan and Sara
  6. Section 26 [We Crawl] - The Polyphonic Spree
  7. Your Ex-Lover is Dead - Stars
  8. inní mér syngur vitleysingur - Sigur Rós
  9. Slow Pony Home - The Weepies
  10. Tangled Up in Blue - Bob Dylan
  11. We Both Go Down Together - The Decemberists
  12. As Is - Ani DiFranco
2007
  1. Like Eating Glass - Bloc Party
  2. Yeah Yeah - Matt and Kim
  3. Colores (en vivo) - Les Ondes Martenot
  4. Distortions - Clinic
  5. Insistor - Tapes and Tapes
  6. Shine a Light - Wolf Parade
  7. The Past is a Grotesque Animal - Of Montreal
  8. Keep the Car Running - The Arcade Fire
  9. No One's Gonna Love You Like I Do - Band of Horses
  10. All My Friends - LCD Soundsystem
  11. I Feel Like Going Home - Yo La Tengo
  12. Starálfur - Sigur Rós
I can't begin to imagine what 2010 will sound like...

No comments:

Post a Comment