Humanity has invented a time machine: music.
It takes you back, reminds you of who and where you were, what you were doing, how you were feeling. A song is like a little time capsule: play the song; open the time capsule.
Some time after the end of college, I started making year-end playlists with the intent of summarizing the previous year with music, instead of words. I put the finishing touches on the 2009 playlist last night. This was my year, in soundwaves.
- Everything is Borrowed - The Streets
- Life Less Ordinary - Carbon Leaf
- Smiling Underneath - Ani DiFranco
- Old Dan Tucker - Bruce Springsteen
- Mi Amor, Mi Amante - Grupo 5
- Te Regalo Amores - Rakim y Ken Y
- Wagon Wheel - Old Crow Medicine Show
- Lisztomania - Phoenix
- Daylight - Matt and Kim
- Skinny Love - Bon Iver
- Roll Away Your Stone - Mumford and Stones
- The World at Large - Modest Mouse
This was 2008 and 2007. I can't find 2006 (or 2005? did I do a playlist for 2005?)--think I lost it when I switched computers--so maybe this is more for me, my horrible memory, and my propensity for getting rid of stuff I should keep.
- I Wish I Was the Moon - Neko Case
- ties that bind - stars of stage and screen
- Death to Los Campesinos - Los Campesinos!
- Librarian - My Morning Jacket
- Fix You Up - Tegan and Sara
- Section 26 [We Crawl] - The Polyphonic Spree
- Your Ex-Lover is Dead - Stars
- inní mér syngur vitleysingur - Sigur Rós
- Slow Pony Home - The Weepies
- Tangled Up in Blue - Bob Dylan
- We Both Go Down Together - The Decemberists
- As Is - Ani DiFranco
- Like Eating Glass - Bloc Party
- Yeah Yeah - Matt and Kim
- Colores (en vivo) - Les Ondes Martenot
- Distortions - Clinic
- Insistor - Tapes and Tapes
- Shine a Light - Wolf Parade
- The Past is a Grotesque Animal - Of Montreal
- Keep the Car Running - The Arcade Fire
- No One's Gonna Love You Like I Do - Band of Horses
- All My Friends - LCD Soundsystem
- I Feel Like Going Home - Yo La Tengo
- Starálfur - Sigur Rós